Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I Hate to Lose

I don't like speaking grammar with my students. As soon as you say the words "present perfect," everyone in the class immediately gets confused, curious, defensive, angry, etc.

In a moment of genius, I decided to play the classic drinking game "Never Have I Ever" with my level 3 German students instead of talking about grammar. (Unfortunately, no drinks were involved.) In this game, you use the present perfect to say something that you have never done in your whole life.

For example: "Never have I ever eaten worms."

Then, everyone who has eaten worms has to raise their hand. They get a point. Points are bad.

Around the room, the students took turns saying what they had never ever done.

Student 1: "Never have I ever done this." 1 point here
Student 2: "Never have I ever done that." 2 points there
...
Me: "Never have I ever worn lederhosen." Points all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment